Monday, March 23, 2009

Learn to Crochet - Lesson 4 - Chain Stitch

Learn to Crochet - Lesson 4 - Chain Stitch

Chain
Hold your hook in your dominant hand (for me, this is my right hand) and hold the strand of yarn you have pulled loose from the skein in your other hand. Hold the hook like a pencil and let the yarn go through your fingertips.

Once you get some of the project finished enough to hold onto, you will want to hold it between your pinkie and ring finger behind your hook as you work. This will come naturally with time.

Hold your hook against the yarn about 6 inches from the end of the yarn, and loop the yarn around the hook, near the tip, twice. Leave about 6 inches of yarn hanging below the part you have wound around your hook. Now pull a strand of the yarn through the circle you have created on the hook. This takes some getting used to before it comes naturally. If you cannot easily get this first circle and chain going, simply tie a small circle into the yarn, with about 6 inches of yarn hanging beneath the circle. Then, pull a loop (chain) of yarn through that first tied circle.

Continue to pull small loops of yarn through each chain stitch and try to make them all the same size. But, while you are new to crocheting, don't fret too much over this! Uniformity will come with experience. Don't worry.

Make your chain strand as long as the width of your project. For a little Barbie blanket, this might be 25 chain stitches. For a blanket for your couch, this might be 150 stitches.



After you have made a long enough length of chain stitches, put your work away and wait for me to teach you the Single Crochet. We will work those along the chains tomorrow.

If you have any questions or comments, please email them to me, write to me in Facebook, or leave them here in a Comment.

-Holly

2 comments:

Debby said...

I'm coming in behind you, since I just saw you were doing this last night.
I guess I need to "DO" first to see if I'm understanding it correctly....=)
Great idea Holly.....
Thanks

Unknown said...

I am going to have to try this. I would love to learn to crochet. :-)

I have the blog that is linked to this ID and a 2nd private blog at http://ladybugandbusyboy.blogspot.com